Invocation to Patañjali in the tradition of Sri T. Krishnamacharya
Prior to chanting and discussing the Yoga Sūtra-s, it is tradition to chant an invocation to Patañjali, the great Sage who compiled the sūtra-s. T. Krishnamacharya included an additional line at the end of the invocation that further honors Patañjali.
I have recopied one of the chanting documents that I used while studying at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandirm in order to share this special version of the invocation. Click on the image below to download a PDF version.
Translations of the Yoga Sutra-s
Online + Audio Resources for the Sutra-s
- Mobile app for learning to chant the Sutra-s: "Yoga Sutra of Patanjali: Translation and Commentary by TKV Desikachar"Each sutra is chanted in the classical and simplified modes. The classical mode presents the sutra exactly as it is in the text. The simplified mode breaks up the words that comprise a sutra in a manner that makes it easy for the beginner to listen and learn to chant the sutra-s.
- Sonia Nelson, a Director of the Vedic Chant Center and student of T.K.V. Desikachar has an excellent set of CDs for chanting the Yoga Sutra-s. A chanting book from the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram insitute is also available.
- Chanting tutorial videos by Srivasta Ramaswami's, who studied with Sri T. Krishnamacharya for decades
- Yogasutra-s Online by A. G. Mohan, who studied with Sri T. Krishnamacharya for decades
- The Yoga Sutras of Patañjali: A New Edition, Translation, and Commentary by Edwin Bryant (2009)
- Light on Life: The Yoga Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate Freedom by B.K.S. Iyengar (2006)
- The Tree of Yoga (Shambhala Classics) by B.K.S. Iyengar (2002)
- Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya by T. K. V. Desikachar and R. H. Cravens (2011)
- The Bhagavad Gita (Suny Series in Cultural Perspectives) by Christopher Chapple and Winthrop Sargeant (1984)
- The Language of Yoga: Complete A to Y Guide to Asana Names, Sanskrit Terms, and Chants by Nicolai Bachman (2005)
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T. K. V. Desikachar (1999)
- The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha by Srivatsa Ramaswami (2005)
- Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga by Gary Kraftsow (1999)
- Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass) by Gary Kraftsow (2002)
- Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression by Bo Forbes (2011)
- The Viniyoga of Yoga, Applying yoga for healthy living by TKV Desikachar (2011)
- Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana by P.T. Judith Hanson Lasater (2010)
- The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume I by Ray Long and Chris Macivor (2009)
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati (2013)
© COPYRIGHT Robyn Long 2015. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.